Wednesday, December 26, 2007

House finch with an injured eye

Last week, I saw that one of the female house finches in my yard appeared to have an injured eye. I reported it as eye disease, but I was able to snap a photo of her today (through the digiscope) and I think it looks more injured than diseased. It appears healed, and she looks around with her one good eye, but she hasn't been hanging with her flock lately. She's been staying in the trees and brush in my back yard, coming out every so often to eat, and bouncing around with the dark eyed juncos. She can still fly, but I imagine she's at a great disadvantage with only one eye.

Her good side

Her good side

Her injured eye
Injured eye - house finch

It has been a quiet day at the feeders again today. The temperature isn't too bad - it's 36 degrees now with highs in the low 40's today, as was yesterday. I heard the birds chirping at the feeders early this morning, but by 8:30am they were gone. A few finches stopped by and I was able to try out the digiscope setup, but there are landscapers outside working on the bushes, and I think that has scared the birds away for now.

Female house finch
Female house finch

No comments: