Monday, November 26, 2007

American Goldfinch is back!

Back on November 3rd, I had a visit to my nyger/thistle feeder by an American Goldfinch in winter plumage:

American Goldfinch, Winter Plumage

He's back! I saw him sitting in my back yard tree a few minutes ago :) These new binoculars really help!

The goldfinch flew away, but there are still 4 male finches and a dark eyed junco sitting in the tree. The mourning doves are still around too (though not visiting at the moment).

I think I need to get more of the gourmet seed blend. Right now, I've just got black oil sunflower seed out there, and the birds aren't visiting the feeders en masse (except for the finches, who appear to love the black oil sunflower seed). I get the occasional house sparrow, but nothing like last week where 20+ swarmed the feeders. Maybe it's better this way? I'm not sure.

I'm also thinking of putting peanuts out. There was a seed I was getting at Target called Nut and Berry Blend that the summer birds loved, but it was pricey, and then they stopped selling it in the large bags. (It was even more pricey in smaller bags!) I need to find a platform feeder of some sort. I don't have squirrels in my neighborhood, so I don't have to worry about them.

No comments: