Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Woodpecker Day

Wow! Out of nowhere, I had not one, but TWO woodpeckers in my yard today! They're so much fun. I'd never seen a real woodpecker before I started bird watching. (My dad would argue, but Woody Woodpecker doesn't count).

The Downy woodpecker has visited me once before. He stopped back today for a nibble on the nut/fruit/seed bell that I hung out last night.

These first two shots were digiscoped with the Canon PowerShot A570IS point-n-shoot camera.

Downy Woodpecker

Look at that head go!!
Look at that head go!!

This next one was taken with my Canon Digital Rebel XTi and the 300mm lens.

Downy Woodpecker

I was pretty excited to see the Downy - I mean, who wouldn't be? I'd have called it an awesome back yard birding day as it was, but as I randomly scanned my tree with the binoculars, a red head popped out at me - and it wasn't a cardinal!

Red-bellied Woodpecker
Digiscoped - point n shoot

A red-bellied woodpecker!! Woohoo, new bird! These shots were taken with the Rebel and the 300mm:

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Pretty exciting bird day for me - and I didn't even have to leave home :) That's good, because it was pretty darn cold out today. It has been warming throughout the day, but it was hardly in the teens when these photos were taken.

Aside from the fun birds, I had a mouse in my house today. That was a first! Slightly traumatic, but I caught the mouse and let him free outside. He was a cute little mouse, but I'd rather he and his friends stayed outside.

No comments: